Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Google Earth

I accidentally ran across a post that mentioned that Google EarthGoogleEarth.png was now available on the Mac. I remember having read about it when the PC version became available last year so I decided to take a look.

I used to work for a company that did computer mapping software (Geographical Information Systems), but it's been a very long time since I worked with that sort of thing. Google Earth just blew my socks off. Back in '93 when I started working in the GIS field there is no way I would have believed something like Google Earth could even exist, let alone be picked up off the internet for free.

My only complaint was that it seemed a little light on place names in Italy -- I couldn't find the exact cottage in Tuscany that we stayed in on our trip to that country a few years ago, which was slightly disappointing. Some of the data is extremely high resolution though. I did a 'flyover' of an area on the Peloponnesus that felt like I was really there (a quarter mile up).

Stunning work, Google. I'm impressed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home