Monday, January 30, 2006

Philosophy: Free Will

I've expanded my repertoire of Philosophy podcasts to include Wrestle That Shark and A Christian and an Atheist, in addition to Todd Park Mohr's Philosphy Podcast, which I've mentioned before.

Wrestle That Shark is one half part Tiki Bar TV and two parts philosophy. These two guys (there was a girl involved in the first couple of episodes, but she apparently decided she had better things to do) drink beer and converse about philosophy. They mostly agree with each other, so there isn't really a debate element, and they spend a lot of time trying "not to get political", which is just annoying. Guys: be political or don't but don't spend time telling me what you're trying not to do (and failing, by the way). The thing is, that I actually like this show -- it's sort of like sitting behinds a pair of slightly drunk guys on the SkyTrain while they discuss something unusual. It may not be the most insightful thing going, but it beats that magazine you brought to read -- and most reality TV. If you listen, though, skip the "drunkcast" episode. It's even lamer than it sounds.

A Christian and an Atheist is just that, a couple of friends on opposite side of the "god exists" question having a civil discussion about the matter. I've only just started listening to the first episode this week. I'm rooting for the atheist, but it doesn't look good so far.

Anyway, all of this in preface to this notion that occurred to me the other day, which is simply that the only interesting question in Philosophy is the one about Free Will. I mean, isn't it? If we don't have free will, then don't all the other questions in philosophy become sort of irrelevant?

1 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

That reminded me of some Rush lyrics

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

Gotta love Neil Peart.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home