Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Trip Summary

We've just returned from an 8-day, 4-city tour of central Canada: Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec. Some highlights.

Toronto: Riding the subway to the waterfront, taking the ferry to Ward Island (nothing there), hiking at high speed with Lisa in the stroller trying to find a bicycle rental place (failing); pause briefly to take a train ride at Centerville amusement park, and then rush to catch the next ferry back to the mainland, so we could catch the subway back to North York, where we could meet some friends for dinner. Didn't meet up with my aunt, nor did I visit the ROM, both of which were on my list of things to do.

Ottawa: Finally visited the National Gallery. After touring art museums in Italy, the National Gallery's collection seems very tepid, at least until you get to the contemporary stuff, which was much more interesting. Walked across the bridge to the Museum of Civilization and visited the Children's Museum there. What a fantastic place. I'll go into more detail later, but if you have small kids and are anywhere near Hull, you must visit. Didn't call up an old friend to connect, as I had planned to.

Montreal: I love this town for some reason, but we didn't accomplish much here. I spent most of our free day looking for a playground for Lisa and it took until 5 pm or so until I found one. Took the subway and went to Jean Drapeau Park, but this was disappointing, with the exception of the "water-play" area in the Biosphere, which was fun for all. Tried to visit the science museum here, but with no luck (closes at 4pm - earlier than I expected). Walked around the old part of town. Ended up not getting a smoked meat sandwich, which was the only thing on my list for Montreal.

Quebec: Stayed in old town Quebec, which is very pretty and worth visiting, but the damn place is built on a hill (it was a fortress, so that makes sense) and I wound up pushing the stroller up and down hills looking for a blasted playground that wasn't where it was supposed to be. There are about five playgrounds within half a mile of where I live, so I guess I assumed it would be a little easier than that. Ate well in Quebec city, and visited a nearby waterfall that was quite spectacular. Luckily, I had made no plans, so I couldn't be disappointed here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home