Monday, November 06, 2006

Gorgonzola: No

It's been awhile since I tried a new cheese, but the other day we were out at Save-On-Foods doing our weekly grocery run, and we wandered over to the Deli cheese section and picked out some cheese to snack on.

My hand settled on a wedge of Gorgonzola, which I'd never had before, but which has such an interesting name, that I thought it was worth a try.

It's a very soft, creamy cheese, with some (apparently) penicillin mold running through it. It's got a bit of the "old boot" aroma and taste -- not exactly horrible, but certainly not the sort of thing you'd automatically pop in your mouth when you smell it. There's an aftertaste which I can only describe as a sort of concentrated phlegm thing.

I vote no on Gorgonzola. The web page I visited made it sound much better than my experience. It's not the worst cheese I've ever had, but I do wonder how such tastes get started.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home